Downtown Post Office and Supreme Court
The Downtown Knoxville Post Office and Federal Courthouse, built in 1932, is an example of “streamline” and “modern” architecture, precursors of Art Deco design. The 130,000 square foot building was originally occupied by the Post Office and the Federal Court, with some of the Court’s former offices serving area senators and representatives of Congress. The building was renovated to its original architectural prominence and continues to house the downtown branch of the Postal Service while the spaces formerly occupied by the Federal Court are home to the Tennessee State Court of Criminal Appeals and the eastern division of the State Supreme Court. Other space in the building has been leased to Regions Bank and various private tenants.
The interior of the building is finished with local marble and bronze ornamental flourishes. The ceilings are silver-leaf plaster ornamentation in a semi-classical motif. Floors are multicolored monolithic terrazzo. Interior finishes and decoration have been preserved to their original condition. The exterior design of the building includes classically influenced elements. Exterior windows have cast aluminum ornamentation. New electrical work and air conditioning equipment were installed to provide various areas of the building with safe and comfortable modern facilities. The Postal Service area has been completely remodeled, providing the public with new postal services and convenience.